Description: The Vasco da Gama Movement is the Network for Young and Future Family Doctors of the European Regional Branch of the World Organization of Family Doctors (WONCA Europe). Young and future Family Doctors are defined as those in training for Family Medicine and in the first five years after qualification as a family physician.
Vision: VdGM envisions a world where New and future General Practitioners and Family Physicians are empowered, connected, supported and heard; where the profession of Family Medicine is innovative, influential & academically robust; where family doctors and our speciality are recognised and respected as an essential component of Primary Care, sustainable health systems and achieving health for all.
- Purpose: VDGM aims to promote the profession of Family Medicine and the voice of European new and future General Practitioners and Family Physicians, expanding their opportunities in education, research, policy, leadership and international collaboration.
- Activities: We do this through advocacy, representation and the development of relationships, networks, exchanges and events at national and international levels.
- Values: VdGM believes that new and future General Practitioners and Family Physicians have an unique insight and vital role to play in achieving equitable health for all, today as much as for tomorrow.
- Provide opportunities for all European NFGPs / FPs to meet, learn from each other, and gain collegiate support.
- Be the voice of European NFGPs / FPs.
- Improve education and research opportunities for NFGPs / FPs in Europe.
- Promote the discipline of general practice / family medicine (GP/FM) and to enhance the position of NFGPs / FPs in the medical world